A film novice's preview to the Oscars

Woohoo! The Oscars, the event that happens every year that most people don't watch anymore, but if you do then good on ya! It is fun to watch, especially if you're a movie buff and have actually seen most of the films that were nominated for something. The last time I sat through an Oscar show was when Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King earned 11 Oscars because we were fans and wanted to see our team win! This year, my husband and I tried to watch as many best picture Oscar nominations as possible and watched them all except two - Licorice Pizza and CODA

I liked most of the nominations for best picture, including Dune, Nightmare Alley, King Richard and Drive My Car. If you've followed me at all, you may figure that I'm not a huge artistic movie fan, but I enjoy a movie with a good story and message, or at least a film that keeps my attention for two hours. My husband's favorite is Drive My Car (a Japanese actor has trauma over the worst week of his life and uses a play to work through it) and my favorite of the Oscar noms was probably Nightmare Alley (Bradley Cooper joins a circus then cheats people out of their money). I think Power Of The Dog will earn best picture, it has already won a lot of awards, and Benedict Cumberbatch keeps stacking them for best actor. 


My favorite film involved at all in the Oscars is tick, tick...Boom! The only Oscar it's nominated for is best actor for Andrew Garfield's performance as the famous composer of "RENT," John Larson. If he wins, it'll be the first time a musical has won this award in 55 years. However, between Benedict Cumberbatch for Power Of The Dog, and Will Smith for King Richard, are both strong contenders for this award. 

Another one to look forward to is Lin-Manuel Miranda, who has his song from Encanto, "Dos Oruguitas" in the ring for best original song. If he wins this, then he will earn his EGOT! As a fan of his work, I hope he wins this since tick, tick...BOOM! (who he also did the music for and directed) didn't get as many nominations. PS - If you're a fan of Encanto, "We Don't Talk About Bruno," will be performed live at the Oscars.

I think Drive My Car will get best international feature film, Flee and Encanto are both contenders for best animated film, Kirsten Dunst is a strong contender for best supporting actress, and to be honest I have no idea what to think of the other nominations. Maybe Cruella will win best costume design, 

We'll probably be watching them through Twitter and keeping an eye out for our favorites to win. Happy watching!

Also another fun observation, JK Simmons, Benedict Cumberbatch and Andrew Garfield are all in Spider-Man No Way Home and have nominations for best actors and best supporting actors. Marvel and Sony only hires the best.     

 


Comments

Popular Posts