Dr. Strange In The Multiverse of Madness, is madness (spoiler free)

Now that I've had time to think about my viewing of Dr. Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness, I can honestly say that it was an intense two hours, yes believe it or not they made a great movie that's just a little over two hours. 


If you're a fan of the MCU, you probably remember those moments when you saw Avengers: Endgame in the theater with your fellow fans -  cheering, screaming, crying and laughing with them through so many epic moments. Even though I had to keep my emotions together during the show, there were a few times I wanted to break into cheering. The cameos that you the fans know of from seeing the trailers are still just as juicy when you see them in the movie, and there's some more that still make you grin from ear to ear. I'm seeing it again on Friday night so I can get that experience again. 

So about the movie...  


The movie kicks off right away, it doesn't start slow, it just sucks you in and you are with Stephen Strange and America Chavez through their journey to... well I can't really tell you. Unlike most Marvel films though, this movie has some horror film vibes to it, after all it was directed by Sam Raimi who's best known for this films like the OG Spider-Man series with Tobey Maguire, and horror films like Evil Dead, Drag Me To Hell and Army Of Darkness. BUT he still did a good job of keeping those light hearted moments that you see in most MCU films, but just be aware if you're taking kids, or if you get scared easily, this movie has some pretty creepy, violent and dark moments in it. 

Saying that though, it's probably my favorite MCU film since Endgame but please don't let me hype it up too much for you. For me personally, I loved connecting with Wanda as a mom, that's what really drove this movie for me. I recently watched WandaVision per Elizabeth Olsen's suggestion and it helped me understand Wanda and have those feels fresh in the back of my mind. So if you haven't seen the Disney+ series, you're going to want to watch it, as well as the first Dr. Strange, the movie will mean that much more to you. 

I also liked that this film had some horror film moments to it, I'm not saying it's full of blood and gore, but it has moments that you would find in a scary or thrilling movie like The Shining or Night Of The Living Dead. Benedict Cumberbatch said in an interview that Marvel has a chance to make great cinematic films, and I think as Marvel moves into a stage where they can make films that are genre related like horror and drama, that'll keep some of their more adult audiences engaged rather then seeing the same old hero film. Either way us MCU fans will still pay to see and be apart of all the secrets and "in the know" that each Marvel series and movie has to offer. 

This is about as much as I can give you without spoiling anything, because there is MUCH to spoil about this film. But I do believe that if you're an MCU fan that this will be a movie you'll want to indulge in with your fellow nerds. And if you're not a fan of scary movies, this film won't leave you feeling icky and sick inside like most of horror films, this movie actually has a message that I think will leave people thinking about as they leave, and it is an uplifting message... even if there's a creepy zombie Dr. Strange in it... 

I give this movie a 4/5 stars. The acting from Elizabeth Olsen and Benedict Cumberbatch was phenomenal. The movie was paced very well, it left you wondering so many times how in the heck was Strange going to be the hero in the end, but it could also leave you disappointed for reasons that I cannot, so who knows? The fans will speak their minds this weekend as it's ready for public viewing. 

Comments

Popular Posts