The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent - my hot take

I was going to make the title to this blog longer but the name of the movie kind of filled that up. 

When my friend KellieAnn (who is the cool person who takes me to all of these critic showings) asked me to go with her to this one I thought, "sure, I've seen a Nicholas Cage movie and this seems like a good time," and it was!

Now, if you've seen the trailer you understand what the movie is about -- Nicholas Cage is hired to go to this rich guys birthday named Javi Gutierrez (Pedro Pascal), and be his friend. BUT little does Cage know, that this guy has actually committed a horrible crime, so the U.S. government ropes in Nicholas Cage to bring him down. This is the basic premise of the movie and it's a fun character development movie with a lot of funny parts, references to old Nick Cage movies that I frankly haven't seen, and action packed sequences. 

This movie wasn't groundbreaking in anyway, I thought it was like a Galaxy Quest meets Taken kind of movie. Nicholas Cage the entire time is dealing with his own ego as a famous actor and family issues, who then gets roped into a situation where he has to use his acting abilities and things he's done in past movies to bring down the baddie. I'm sure if I had seen more than just one Nicholas Cage movie, AKA National Treasure... no that's a lie I've seen Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, I would've appreciated other parts of the film. But if you haven't seen all of Nick Cage's old films like Face/Off, Con Air or Gone In 60 Seconds, you'll still like this movie. 

I wouldn't consider it a movie you have to see in theaters, it's a movie you'll keep around if you're looking to have a good time with friends on a Friday night. It honestly was nice to go see a movie I didn't have high expectations for, that was just an entertaining two hours, where I didn't have to analyze anything (if I didn't want to), and have a good laugh. 

My favorite part of the movie was Pedro Pascal's character Javi. As you saw in the trailers he's a die hard Nick Cage fan. It was just fun as a person who is a movie-goer to live through another movie geek who gets to hang out with his movie idol for a week then become best friends with him. It honestly made me wonder who my movie star best friend would be. His character though is someone you didn't expect and just wants to be a good friend to Nick Cage - it's pretty adorable at times. Pedro Pascal also does a fantastic job (per the norm) and even makes a pass at Star Wars

I won't spoil anything else, although as you watch the movie you might find some things predictable. 

I give this movie 3 out or 5 stars. It's a lot of fun, definitely rated R for language and drug use (which is one of the funniest parts), so don't take your kiddos to it. But next time you're looking for a movie on a Friday night that you just want to have fun watching, this one is it. 

I also learned that Nicholas Cage's real name is Nicholas Coppola, he was never married to a British lady in real life, he has two kids and neither are girls.

Also, you might want to watch Paddington 2... no reason... just go watch it. 

Comments

Popular Posts