The Next Review You'll Read About The Batman

If you've been curious about the new Batman movie with Robert Pattison, you've probably seen some of the same things: it's long, it could've ended at certain points, it moved slowly, and I didn't know Andy Serkis was in it. But for me, I really liked it! 


I went into "The Batman" thinking it was going to be super dark and violent, and I was very pleased that it wasn't a very dark movie, at least not as dark as "The Joker" or "The Dark Knight" but rather it's about a hero who realizes that the things he does make a difference, even if they're not huge differences. It does have its violent moments - a guy gets his thumb cut off, people get punched a lot, and there's lots of duct tape on people's messed up faces, oh and guns, lots of guns. The movie is also three hours and if you're expecting to see something like the Christian Bale Batman, you're not going to get that at all, except a guy wearing a black bat costume who drives a really large car sometimes. 

Robert Pattinson does a great job portraying Batman/Bruce Wayne in a new light even if I didn't love it. I'm very used to seeing a charismatic Bruce Wayne, whereas Pattinson portrays a very troubled Bruce Wayne who seems torn about his place in Gotham City, and could care less about his money. Even without the Batman costume on, you can tell he has a lot of things he's working through. I also loved to learn that Pattinson read the comics when studying up for this role. It's hard to see exactly the acting that Pattinson is doing underneath the Batman costume that he wears for about 90% of the movie, but the way he moves helps you understand how he is feeling, especially when he encounters a little boy who just lost his father. Pattinson also does a great job at not doing an overly dramatic Batman voice. 


The movie feels like it's more of a noir detective type film, as Batman and James Gordon work together to figure out The Riddler and who this serial killer is. It's rainy every night in Gotham, Batman is always in his suit when working murder scenes and hanging out at the police station, and the lighting gives it a very eerie atmosphere. The music also does a great job at setting the mood too, and I've added it to my Spotify playlist. 

As for the length, yes I felt like the movie dragged a bit at the end. There was a moment I felt the movie could end but it didn't. Maybe it was because it was past my bedtime, but as soon as the Riddler was caught (spoiler alert) I was ready for the movie to resolve and the hero to win again, but the Riddler has one more thing up his sleeve and then it ends, oh wait nope they have to end it again with something else. Just be prepared for a long ending. 


Other than that, and the lack of a charismatic Bruce Wayne, and that I can only see John Turturro as Monk's brother and no one else, I really liked it - the acting, the music, the story, and the fact that Batman catches all the bad guys without becoming corrupt. I want to see it again! I wouldn't let my kids watch it till they were at least 16 or older due to a little language, the pace of the film, and the violence if you're curious about that. But if you're someone looking for another side of Batman, a good murder mystery that has its action packed moments, and an intriguing hero film then please go see it!! 



Comments

Popular Posts