The thoughts of Boba Fett from a moderate Star Wars fan

First of all, as it says in the title I'd consider myself a moderate Star Wars fan, my knowledge goes no further than the films and the newer series on Disney+. I think they're a lot of fun, I love the character dynamics and yes I am a fan of Ray, so shoot me you die hard fans. But this blog is about the latest Disney+ series "The Book Of Boba Fett," which I'm not exactly sure you can call it that. 

First, I did enjoy the series because it had a story that built on itself, I really had no preconceived notion of who Boba Fett really was, except that he was the bounty hunter who brought in Han Solo in "The Empire Strikes Back." I wasn't going into this series having any real expectations, except those of which "The Mandalorian" gave me. That being said I thought it was a fun series, I liked learning about other characters and seeing Luke doing his Jedi school thing, learning about the Tuskan culture, and that's about it. The husband however really didn't like it as much as "The Mandalorian" and had a lot to say about the series when we finished the last episode on Wednesday.  

This whole series really couldn't decide what it wanted to be, just like this blog because now we're talking about my husband's point of view who understands Star Wars much better than I. Andrew described "The Book Of Boba Fett" as "the parts were greater than its sums" meaning there were really good parts in the film but the end of the series really didn't solve anything. When Boba emerges from the Sarlacc pit and runs into the Tuskan Raiders, he suddenly realizes he wants to be a better person and no longer a bounty hunter and we miss that real reason why he wants to change, he just sort of wants to. It would've been nice to see the "why" so we could have had more reason to be behind Boba's desire to change. 

With all this, they seem to go back a lot to the scene in "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" when Boba sees his dad, Jango, go off to be a bad guy. Then for those who may not have seen the series "The Clone Wars," we may not know the connection between Boba and Cad Bane (the blue guy) if there even is one. Is there one? 

The series also didn't know what it wanted to be. It was sometimes season 2.5 of "The Mandalorian," and it was sometimes the story of Boba Fett. This series could've easily been added to the third season of "The Mandalorian" where Boba was a side character, but we needed a series to watch Boba get beat by other aliens, and to learn the way of the Tuskan Raiders. This is apparently all a build up to then team up with Mando to take out more bad guys after we had almost three episodes dedicated to Mando's story after he gave Grogu to Luke. 

One thing I learned from my husband (which is just more of a fun fact) is that George Lucas received a lot of his inspiration to write Star Wars from the book Dune. It was funny to see that spice was the big motivator for the baddies in Boba Fett, which is the same motivator in Dune

In the end, I give the series a 5/10 and Andrew gives it a 3/10. It's grasped a bit of my interest for season 3 of "The Mandalorian" and really made the character of Boba Fett not as cool as I thought. 

Comments

Popular Posts