Over and Over Again: A Bugs Life


Are you having flashbacks as I mention the title A Bugs Life? Last year I decided to show my daughter the one Disney Pixar movie she may not have seen, and since, it has been a frequently watched movie. It's not hard to be a novice analyst while watching a movie about ants who collect food for grasshoppers for some kind of protection, but here are some stupid observations I had, as an adult who has seen this movie multiple times. 

One - Which queen aunt made the decision to hire grasshoppers for protection? Did the grasshoppers come in and present a scheme, telling them that bigger bugs would come to attack them on the island if they didn't have grasshopper protection, or was there a point when bigger bugs were terrorizing the ants? I feel like the queen ant who made this deal should've been impeached or something. Maybe it's the queen ant in the movie that made that deal, and that's why in the end she gives her crown to Ada because she realized the other ants are going to hate her for making that horrible decision so long ago and she needed to hand off the spotlight.

Two - I know how ant genetics work, so why are Ada and Dot the only two heirs to the throne? Were they just the prettiest ants? I feel like some other female ants got jipped and I just feel bad for them. 

Three - Flick's grass cutting contraption that cuts down the stalk to get the seeds - don't they need that grass for protection from birds? I hope the ants thought this through before too many pieces of grass got cut down, leaving the colony vulnerable to birds and the sun. 

Fourth - The raspberry that lands on the ant as they're collecting food for the offering in the beginning, where the heck did that come from? There are clearly no raspberry bushes around there. 


Fifth - It's funny how the ants feel that new tech is acceptable when Flick isn't making it. In the beginning, the ants get mad at Flick for finding a faster and better way to pick grain and say, "get back in line and pick grain, like everybody else!" They're obviously not a very progressive group of ants. However, when the circus bugs come and tell them "hey we can make this bird," all the ants are like "YES PROGRESS!" If I were Flick, I'd be pretty offended, because the anti-tech movement is clearly personal because when they find out the bird was Flick's idea, it's all the sudden a bad idea. These ants really need to figure themselves out. 

Sixth - I can't get over that Julia Louis-Dreyfuss voices Ada, and that David Hyde Pierce is Slim. 

Seventh - How did the grasshoppers know about the last leaf falling? Do they have a creepin grasshopper just watching Ant Island all the time? I mean, I'm assuming it's more of a "when winter comes" type of thing but the ants are clearly afraid of that last leaf falling and Hopper has quite the sense of knowing when that leaf is gonna fall. 


That's all I've got. Were there any other parts of the story you were every curious about? I mean Hopper has some issues that were never brought up. Maybe the death of his mother made him so hard hearted? Anyway, I still think this is a fun movie, but apparently not good enough for a sequel or to keep a land of in Disney's California Adventure theme park, either way, go live up some nostalgia and rewatch it on Disney+. 

Comments

Popular Posts