Shang-Chi: Welcome To The Next Phase Of The MCU

Have you wanted to join the Marvel train but felt like you missed it after not watching half of the Avengers movies from 2009 and on? Well, now is your time! Shang-Chi is the first new superhero we're meeting post-Tony Stark and I'm excited to see where his story fits in within the new MCU, and you can now have a clean slate and fit in at Comic-Cons and with your nerdy friends around the globe.  


Shang-Chi was a cool movie, I really enjoyed it! I haven't enjoyed fight choreography and sequences like that since Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix. They obviously had a lot of fun this time putting the characters in crazy places to fight that weren't too unbelievable that it was stupid, and found different ways to make the character's skills a lot more interesting. The chemistry between Shang-Chi (Simu Liu) and Katy (Awkwafina) is a lot of fun, and their relationship brings a lot of comic relief in the film. The message of the movie is on point and is made clear in the film and I think is something this new generation coming up needs to hear. 

It really had everything you'd want in an action film - car chases, dragons, trees that eat people, a love story that won't quit, Karaoke, girls who kick butt and can take down the boys, and high top shoes that I must have!!! And the trailer was misleading to the plot in some ways, so I hope you enjoy watching the film when it comes out in a few weeks. 



Even though this film gives viewers a clean slate into the MCU, the movies I might watch to get some added hype would be Iron Man 3, Dr. Strange and I guess The Incredible Hulk? Those aren't necessary to watch to enjoy the film but... yeah trying to avoid the spoilers. 

There are two post-film/credit scenes and the first one will pique your interest and give you your entrance into the new phase. (post coming about that importance). 

ON the other hand, even though I did enjoy the movie and want to see it again, I wouldn't say it was in my top 10 favorite Marvel films, and here is why. (Disclosure this is my opinion don't get mad). I couldn't relate too much to any of the main characters, and there were moments where the humor felt a little forced. There wasn't a whole lot at stake for most of the characters and not a whole lot of character development for some of the main characters. You get a brief 15 minutes of who they are and then you're whisked into the movie. I wish I could've seen more of what some had at stake so I could've cared about the characters a little more. You jump into the story quite quickly so when some of those characters get in danger, you wonder if they died how different the movie would be. You don't want them to die obviously because you want to see where their story goes but in the end, I felt like they were just there to be there. 


It also didn't feel like a Marvel movie (this is not one of the reasons it's not in my top 10, just an observation) because we're moving into things that are out of this world and into new places! As you've seen from the Eternals trailers and past posts, the MCU is now dealing with things that are supernatural and nothing Stark Tech could handle, let alone our past fab five... except Thor. The MCU has a new tone coming to them and an even badder guy than Thanos, and even though I'm excited to see them, my brain has to do an adjustment that the past team is going to be very little if not involved at all in this next phase. I'm not super invested in Shang-Chi yet, and I've come to realize I really like more of the grounded Marvel films and characters and this movie is very much had a Dr. Strange vibe... but in Asia.  

That being said, I didn't hate it, it was still a fun Marvel movie and I want to see it again, and I recommend seeing it in theaters. A lot of my other friends who saw the film early LOVED it and have considered it one of their favorites, so you be the judge. I'll post a spoiler review on September 3 that will explain more about why I feel the way I feel. 

Comments

Popular Posts