Over and Over Again: Featuring Disney's Coco

If you're like my husband and me, you probably have a child that watches the same movie over and over and over again, to the point where you know every line, every song, and wish they'd just want anything else, even Cocomelon! 

My daughter, twice, has gone through a Coco phase, and even though I've seen this movie maybe 100 times, it's probably my favorite animated film. But as we've watched this film, again and again, it made me think of some things like, why does Hector have a photo of himself just safely in his shirt that has no pockets at all times? and why would anyone want to marry into a family who doesn't listen to music? 

Here are nine things that I think too much about while watching Disney's Coco.

First off, with how popular Ernesto De La Cruz is, how has mama Coco avoided hearing the song "Remember Me" for so long? We know her family doesn't listen to music but even she must've overheard it somewhere and was like "hmmm, I think my papa used to sing me that song." Or maybe she feared no one would believe her? Either way, she went a lot of time being able to avoid hearing the most popular song in Mexican history. 

Second, as I said above, you must be IN LOVE with someone in the Rivera family to want to be a member of that family. Do you think a lot of breakups happened because they were a little weirded out that they didn't listen to music? I'm really wondering why the people who married into the family didn't kind of tell them "you guys a little weird for avoiding music at all costs." You'd think that tradition might've died because of how ridiculous it is, but then again I don't know how Mexican family traditions work so maybe they get super hardcore on it. 

Third, where did Miguel get all the parts for his guitar? It's honestly quite genius like he had to measure the frets correctly and smuggle in a beaten-down guitar, and find guitar strings, and practice daily without his family knowing or HEARING him. And with all the candles in this little garage attic hideout around his De La Cruz ofrenda, how has that place not burned to the ground? 

Fourth, why do you give people from the land of the dead food? I'd be like, "thanks for the food I can't eat because I'm a skeleton and have to watch my chewed up food just drop to the floor." I know it's a tradition to do that but I never saw one of the skeletons eat the food they were given from their family. That one guy got churros from his family, and he can't even enjoy them! They even drink tequila and well, what does that do for them anyway? 

Fifth, (this one blows my mind), Mama Emelda was willing to let Miguel die over his love for music instead of sending him back to the land of the living. It's a major plot point I know, but she can keep him there till sunrise, that whole family can, but because they hate music that much, they'd rather have him die than become a musician. It's a bit messed up when you think about it. So basically Miguel was fighting for his life and made the smart move to find someone else to give him his blessing. Mama Emelda is psycho, until the end when she realizes she made a mistake. 

Sixth. When Miguel meets Hector in the train station, Hector is about to introduce himself as Hector Rivera, but instead, Miguel pulls him away before he can say his last name. Would it have made a difference if Hector had said his last name? The movie might've been much shorter, almost a "How it Should Have Ended" moment. 

Seventh. How did everything get solved in the end? Do you think there were De La Cruz fans who didn't believe the Rivera family, even though Mama Coco had the journal with her father's poems in it and lyrics? Like did anyone think it was a forgery and tried to fight them from publishing it? A lot of people just believed them. And you'd think with the hate for music for all those years that people would have a hard time believing him. A whole country, it seems, turned against De La Cruz quite quickly and assumed he murdered another guy for his songs. I mean think about it, Miguel is the only person who knows firsthand that De La Cruz murdered Hector and stole his songs. 

Eighth. Along that note, do you think Miguel's family believed him when he told them about going back to the land of the dead? Like "hey, why I was gone all night, yeah I was hanging out with my great great grandfather, and we fought of Ernesto De La Cruz to get his photo and share his story. Mame Emelda wouldn't give me her blessing because I love music so I almost died because of her." It's just a lot of odd stuff to believe, but I guess when you sing a song that jogs your grandma's brain, it must be true. 

Ninth, why does Mama Coco get the shaft and have to remain old in the land of the dead? I mean, I know why because Disney made the choice to keep her old so kids would recognize her, but still, she's still old! I'd feel ripped off that my parents looked better than me. Maybe you should've shared your father's journal sooner than later Mama Coco, karma got back at you bad! 

Anyway, I still LOVE this movie, it's just silly things I think of when I watch it. I still cry when I watch it. Are there strange things you think of while watching Coco? 


Comments

Popular Posts